Thursday, March 30, 2017

Northern Italian mountains



One of the wonderful rewards of driving through the Swiss Alps is arriving in Italy. For some reason, the mountains call to me. Perhaps it is because I grew up in flat-flat-flat Indiana. Perhaps it is because I like the potential adventure lurking in the cliffs. Or do the organic lines provide a welcome reprise from the structured symmetry all around me in the city?
The first evening we were there, the heavens put on a light show for us. As we were driving toward the northern tip of Lake Como and the mountain below, the clouds and the light from the setting sun provided the peak with unbelievably beautiful warmth. I drove as fast as I could so that I would be able to photograph it. We got there a bit too late, but this view will remain with me for a long time.


After we watched the kiteboarders for an hour or so, Christian and I walked up to the nature reserve and noticed the moon begin to rise.


Its arc was so low - and the mountain so high - that it came out the other side about 30 minutes later.


Lake Como provides many opportunities for outdoorsmen. Artists and photographers have ample scenes to capture and take back home with them.


The drying kites mimicked the distant peaks.

The sunsets were stunning.

Even on the clear days, at the right time of day the mountains showed their majesty in a quiet manner.


From our little terrace the ranges of hills and mountains showed off their grandeur as the sun set.


No comments:

Post a Comment